David Beckham faces being hauled into court ‘after CCTV emerges of him using a mobile phone behind the wheel’ – weeks after a speeding charge was dismissed on a technicality
- Former footballer allegedly spotted making call in his £200,000 car in London
- Hearing at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on March 19 over incident in November
- Beckham faces up to six points on his licence and a £2,000 fine if convicted
- It comes five months speeding charge in London was dismissed on technicality
Terri-ann Williams For Mailonline
David Beckham faces being hauled into court after CCTV footage allegedly emerged of him using a mobile phone behind the wheel.
The 43-year-old former footballer is said to have been spotted making a call in his £200,000 car in London three months ago by an onlooker who told police.
A hearing is set to take place at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on March 19 – and Beckham faces up to six points on his licence and a £2,000 fine if convicted.
David Beckham drives through Notting Hill, West London, with his son Brooklyn last August
Beckham (pictured leaving the O2 in Greenwich, South East London, after a Justin Bieber gig in October 2016) is understood to have been caught on camera on his phone while driving
The father-of-four, who drives a Bentley and lives in West London, can either contest the charge at a public hearing or admit the alleged offence by letter.
This charge – first revealed overnight by the Sun newspaper – comes five months after a speeding charge against him was dismissed on a technicality.
That case saw him accused of ‘setting a terrible example’ after he employed the lawyer ‘Mr Loophole’ after he was accused of driving 20mph over the speed limit.
Beckham was told on September 27 he would not face action because a notice of intended prosecution was received one day after the statutory 14-day time limit.
Beckham (left, in June last year in London) was previously represented by £10,000-a-day lawyer Nick Freeman (right, at Wimbledon Magistrates’s Court last September)
At the time of the case, Beckham enjoyed a romantic trip to Paris with his wife Victoria, 44. They are pictured at London Fashion Week last month
That was despite the star, worth an estimated £339million, having accepted that he had been speeding in a 40mph zone on the A40 near Paddington on January 23.
How Beckham avoided a speeding conviction on a technicality
David Beckham was accused of ‘setting a terrible example’ as a role model after escaping a speeding conviction on a technicality last year.
The former England captain employed the lawyer dubbed ‘Mr Loophole’ after he was accused of driving a £200,000 Bentley 20mph over the speed limit.
Beckham, 43, accepted he had been speeding, but was told last September that he would not face action because a notice of intended prosecution was not received until one day after the statutory 14-day time limit.
Safety campaigners and politicians reacted with fury, saying the retired footballer used his ‘wealth and influence’ to escape a conviction.
A judge accepted Beckham’s ticket had not arrived in time and so he could not be convicted. A speed camera had caught him doing 59mph in a 40mph zone on the A40 near Paddington, central London, on January 23.
A speed camera had caught him doing 59mph. But staff at Bentley, from which Beckham had borrowed the car, said the notice did not arrive until February 7.
His £10,000-a-day lawyer Nick Freeman, who counts Sir Alex Ferguson and Andrew Flintoff among his clients, claimed prosecutors only pursued the case because of the star’s fame.
But safety campaigners and politicians reacted with fury, saying the retired footballer used his ‘wealth and influence’ to escape a speeding conviction.
The condemnation from the RAC and MPs came as Beckham enjoyed a romantic trip to Paris with his wife Victoria, 44 – splashing out £1,300 on a bottle of wine. The star is worth an estimated £339million.
The RAC said it was ‘disheartening’ that someone of Beckham’s stature had appeared to get away with the offence.
Conservative MP Andrew Percy called on Beckham at the time to make a ‘considerable donation’ of his wealth to support road accident victims.
Mr Freeman also helped Beckham overturn an eight-month driving ban in 1999 after arguing the then Manchester United midfielder was trying to escape the paparazzi.
What does the law say on using a mobile phone behind the wheel?
In the UK, it is illegal in most situations to use a hand-held mobile phone or similar device – such as a sat nav or camera – while driving a car or riding a motorcycle.
These rules apply even while stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic. Some laws target handheld devices only, while other laws affect both handheld and hands-free devices.
Motorists can only use a hand-held mobile in the case of a genuine emergency that requires a 999/112 call and it is not safe or impractical to pull over and park. Drivers are obliged to remain in full control of their vehicles at all time.
If a police officer feels the motorist is not in full control because they are tuning their radio or using a sat-nav or phone in a cradle, they may also face prosecution.
Drivers supervising learner drivers or riders are also banned from using hand-held devices despite being in a the passenger seat.
Motorists can only use a hand-held device if their car is safely parked in an appropriate location.
Pulling over to the hard shoulder to take or make a call could result in prosecution. Breaching the legislation can result in six penalty points and a fine of £200.
If the case goes to court, the driver or rider could face a ban and a maximum fine of £1,000. Drivers of buses or goods vehicles face higher fines of £2,500.
Motorists with their phones or sat navs attached to their windscreens can also face prosecution, if the area swept by the windscreen wipers is obscured.