Gang of more than 100 youths bombard police with bottles and missiles in Lawless London ‘riot’ near Westfield Stratford City shopping centre
- More than 100 young people pelted police with missiles in Stratford, London
- In video terrified shoppers and members of the public can be heard screaming
- It comes as London’s streets beset with yet more violence in the last 24 hours
A gang of more than 100 young people bombarded police with bottles and missiles in Lawless London last night.
The crowd threw the projectiles at officers outside the bus station, near Westfield shopping centre, in Stratford, East London.
In the video, a number of police cars can be seen outside the popular shopping centre.
Four officers were injured during the turmoil. It is not clear what sparked the incident, but police were thought to be responding to reports of a robbery.
The crowd threw bottles and missiles at police outside the bus station, near Westfield shopping centre
It comes after London’s streets have been beset with yet more violence, as three people were murdered over the weekend, with the city’s murder toll rising to 59 this year.
An 18-year-old student and a 19-year-old man were shot and stabbed to death within 12 minutes of each other in separate attacks in London.
Cheyon Evans, 18, was stabbed to death in Tooting, south west London, at 4.42pm on Friday.
Witnesses told the Times that he was set upon by a gang of teenagers and was stabbed up to 17 times.
Just 12 minutes after Cheyon was attacked, Eniola Aluko, 19, was shot to death in Plumstead, south east London.
A number of police cars can be seen in the clip, they are thought to be responding to
Scotland Yard arrested five people in connection with the shooting, including four men aged between 16 and 18 and a 17-year-old girl.
The police have also charged Mohammed Nadir Dafallah, 18, and a 17-year-old boy with murder after the stabbing of Cheyon.
They will appear in custody at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Monday June 17.
Scotland Yard said four other people – aged between 16 and 19 years old – have been released under investigation.
Some 11 people have been arrested following several violent incidents, which saw two teenagers killed within minutes each other on Friday.
A witness told the Sun of the stabbing: ‘I haven’t seen that much blood in my life. I kept trying to tell him “stay with me”.
‘Then he just passed away in front of me.’
A man in his 30s died after being stabbed just before 2pm on Saturday in Poplar, east London.
Three men were also found stabbed and slashed in Clapham around 3am on Saturday, but managed to escape with their lives.
The condition of two of the men is unknown, but a third man has been reported as having non-life threatening injuries.
Some 90 minutes after the attack in Poplar, a man in his 40s was stabbed in the chest in Edmonton, north London.
The victim suffered a single stab wound to the chest and was airlifted to hospital where he is in a critical but stable condition.
The incident happened at 3.30pm in North Square, Edmonton, north London. So far there have not been any arrests.
Friday’s murders were the 57th and 58th to hit the capital since 43-year-old Adrian Murphy was stabbed in a block of flats in Battersea 11 days ago.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has been criticised for failing to get London’s knife crime under control.
The city already looks set to meet last year’s record, where 132 people were killed in 2018.