Insider claims Queen HALTED plans for Frogmore Cottage to be ‘independent’4 min read

0
51

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s hopes of being ‘entirely independent’ of Buckingham Palace were cut short by the Queen and the Prince of Wales, an insider has claimed.

Harry and Meghan, who last week unveiled plans to create their own household when they swap Kensington Palace for Frogmore House, were reportedly held back by the senior royals who feared the couple would ‘just go off and do their own thing’. 

A source told the Sunday Times: ‘They wanted their household to be entirely independent of Buckingham Palace, but were told “no”. 

‘There is an institutional structure that doesn’t allow that kind of independence. The feeling is that it’s good to have the Sussexes under the jurisdiction of Buckingham Palace, so they can’t just go off and do their own thing.’

Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace declined to comment when contacted by MailOnline.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (left, in London in February 2018) and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (right) are parting ways as Harry and Meghan set up home in Windsor, it has emerged

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (left, in London in February 2018) and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (right) are parting ways as Harry and Meghan set up home in Windsor, it has emerged

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (left, in London in February 2018) and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (right) are parting ways as Harry and Meghan set up home in Windsor, it has emerged

The Queen (pictured at Westminster Abbey last week) is reported to have refused plans for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's new household to be 'entirely independent' of the palace

The Queen (pictured at Westminster Abbey last week) is reported to have refused plans for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's new household to be 'entirely independent' of the palace

The Queen (pictured at Westminster Abbey last week) is reported to have refused plans for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new household to be ‘entirely independent’ of the palace

It emerged last week that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to have their own household, in a split from William and Kate’s royal personnel.

Check this out  Prince Charles is to give evidence at child sex abuse inquiry

The Queen has agreed to the creation of a household for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and given permission for it to be based at Buckingham Palace, where the couple may also have their own apartment – meaning the couple’s court stops short of the ‘total royal freedom’ they reportedly envisaged. 

The new household is likely to be created following the birth of the couple’s first child, expected in late April.

Princes Harry and William remain joint patrons, with their wives, of the Royal Foundation, the primary charitable body for the Cambridges and Sussexes.

This means the two couples could still work together on big projects like their Heads Together mental health campaign.

The shake-up comes as Harry and Meghan prepare for their move away from Kensington Palace to Frogmore Cottage (pictured) on the Windsor Castle estate

The shake-up comes as Harry and Meghan prepare for their move away from Kensington Palace to Frogmore Cottage (pictured) on the Windsor Castle estate

The shake-up comes as Harry and Meghan prepare for their move away from Kensington Palace to Frogmore Cottage (pictured) on the Windsor Castle estate

The two couples have faced rumours of a rift in recent months but there is no indication the latest changes are the result of any such disagreements.

Buckingham Palace announced the development in a statement, saying: ‘The Queen has agreed to the creation of a new Household for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, following their marriage in May last year.

Check this out  Matthew Wright's wife Amelia reveals her baby bump for the first time

‘The Household, which will be created with the support of The Queen and The Prince of Wales, will be established in the spring.

‘The Duke of Sussex currently has his own private office, which has been supporting the Duchess since Their Royal Highness’s engagement in November 2017.

‘This long-planned move will ensure that permanent support arrangements for The Duke and Duchess’s work are in place as they start their family and move to their official residence at Frogmore Cottage.’

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured on Commonwealth Day at Wesminster Abbey last week) are to have their own household, in a split from William and Kate's royal personnel

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured on Commonwealth Day at Wesminster Abbey last week) are to have their own household, in a split from William and Kate's royal personnel

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured on Commonwealth Day at Wesminster Abbey last week) are to have their own household, in a split from William and Kate’s royal personnel

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have separated their staff from that of Kate and William (pictured at Commonwealth Day at Westminster Abbey last week)

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have separated their staff from that of Kate and William (pictured at Commonwealth Day at Westminster Abbey last week)

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have separated their staff from that of Kate and William (pictured at Commonwealth Day at Westminster Abbey last week)

The Sussexes’ and Cambridges’ current communications head Jason Knauf will stay with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but become their senior adviser.

His responsibilities will include advising on their charitable initiatives – including work on the environment, mental health, and early childhood – and supporting a review of the charitable structures that underpin their work.

Christian Jones has taken over as communications secretary to William and Kate.

Check this out  Bombs away! Iconic Dambusters raid in Virtual Reality so users experience heroic WWII mission

The shake-up comes as Harry and Meghan prepare for their move away from Kensington Palace to Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor Castle estate.

It looks out onto the stunning grounds of Frogmore House, which Harry and Meghan chose as the location for their formal engagement photoshoot.

The cottage is just 200 yards from the publicly accessible Long Walk, meaning it will require upgrades to ensure the couple’s privacy and security.

Harry and Meghan have named high-flying PR guru Sara Latham (pictured) - who has worked for Bill and Hillary Clinton - as their new dedicated head of communications

Harry and Meghan have named high-flying PR guru Sara Latham (pictured) - who has worked for Bill and Hillary Clinton - as their new dedicated head of communications

Harry and Meghan have named high-flying PR guru Sara Latham (pictured) – who has worked for Bill and Hillary Clinton – as their new dedicated head of communications

As part of the dramatic shake-up, Harry and Meghan have named high-flying PR guru Sara Latham – who has worked for Bill and Hillary Clinton – as their new dedicated head of communications. 

Ms Latham, believed to be a British-American dual citizen, worked in the White House in the Bill Clinton era as an assistant to the President.

She also served as an adviser for Hillary Clinton’s failed 2016 presidential campaign, according to her online CV.

In addition she was recruited into British politics in 2005 to help Tony Blair’s Labour party in that year’s general election campaign.

Subsequently she worked for Labour MP Tessa Jowell, who was then Culture Secretary and responsible for planning the London Olympics.