Woman admits that ALL she wants for Christmas is ‘two front teeth’ – after swallowing her dentures while tucking into a festive mince pie
- Angela McGill, 52, from Glasgow, swallowed dentures while eating a mince pie
- Mother-of-three was enjoying festive treat when plate got stuck in her throat
- Rushed to hospital and was told she’d have to wait to pass it through system
A mother-of-three has revealed how ‘all she wants for Christmas is her two front teeth’ – after accidentally swallowing her dentures while eating a mince pie.
Angela McGill, 52, from Glasgow, was tucking into the festive snack when she swallowed what she thought was a bit of pastry.
Gulping hard, she realised that she’d actually swallowed her partial dentures – two teeth attached to a plastic plate at the bottom of her mouth – and rushed to hospital.
But doctors advised that a procedure to pull the plate back up her throat would do more harm than good, and suggested she wait for the dentures to pass through her digestive system – before she flushed them down the loo.
Angela McGill, 52, from Glasgow, lost her two front teeth after swallowing her dentures while tucking into a festive mince pie
Doctors told her it could cause more damage to remove the denture from her throat – and advised her to wait for the teeth to ‘pass through her system’ (pictured, the teeth in Angela’s throat
Angela had her inch-square partial dentures fitted last month to replace 40-year-old caps she had fitted as a young girl after an accident.
‘I was swimming when I was about 11 when this boy jumped in the pool, knocked me, and then I clattered my teeth against the edge of the pool,’ she said.
‘Forty years on, the crowns needed replacing obviously, so they fitted me with two front teeth on this plastic plate instead.’
Unused to her new teeth – which are on her bottom left-side – Angela accidentally swallowed them while eating a mince pie from supermarket Aldi on December 3.
The mother-of-three said she became distracted by someone at a work party and gulped down her dentures before she realised what was happening
Angela rushed to the hospital but doctors told her she’d have to wait for her dentures to pass through her system
Angela is ‘finding the funny side to this right cock-up’ – but has sworn off mince pies forever.
She laughed: ‘I just couldn’t believe I’d swallowed my plate – how silly is that?!
‘And I was really enjoying the mince pie too, I just got distracted when someone I work with said my name and I gulped.
‘It was rough, and really hard – I thought it was a tough piece of pastry!
The mother-of-three said she ‘obviously’ disposed of the dentures when they passed through her system
The mother-of-three said she has now sworn of mince pies forever and will never enjoy the festive snack again
‘Then it went down, and got lodged at the back of my throat, and I thought – ‘oh my god, I’ve swallowed my plate, I’ve literally lost my teeth!’.’
Angela, a kitchen assistant in healthcare, went to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, where medics advised to let the plate pass through her digestive system.
‘When I got to hospital, it got funnier, because they’d said it would do damage to my throat if they tried to pull the plate back up,’ she said.
‘So they told me to wait three days for the plate to pass through my system.
Angela said she is now hoping to get a new set of dentures fitted before Christmas, although she insists she is seeing the funny side
‘I think I made their day to be honest, maybe even their year! It was ever so funny!’
Angela then added: ‘Obviously I wasn’t going to be using that plate again – like I say, all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth!’
She is waiting to get a new set fitted – and hopes she’ll get them in time for Christmas.