Prince Philip will NOT be charged over Sandringham crash that left two women in hospital because ‘legal action is pointless due to his age and his decision to stop driving’
Lara Keay For Mailonline
Prince Philip will face no further legal action over his Land Rover crash near Sandringham last month, prosecutors have said.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 97, voluntarily gave up his driving licence after his collision on the A149 that left two women in hospital on January 17.
But today the Chief Crown Prosecutor for the area has confirmed he will not be pursued by police as a prosecution is ‘not in the public interest’.
Prince Philip (pictured driving in Windsor in May last year) will face no further legal action over his Land Rover crash near Sandringham last month, prosecutors have said today
Prince Philip left two people requring hospital treatment after his Land Rover rammed into a Kia near the Sandringham estate in Norfolk last month
Chris Long, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS East of England, said ‘The CPS has carefully reviewed material submitted by the police in relation to a traffic collision on the A149 on 17 January this year.
‘We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving licence.
‘We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute.
‘All those involved in the collision have been informed and provided with a full explanation in writing.’
The decision was made after considering all the evidence submitted by the police and in accordance with the two stage test in the Code for Crown Prosecutors.
A graphic shows how the crash unfolded on the A149 in Norfolk last month