Two Brazilians killed by deadly spider bites: one victim was ‘too macho’ for hospital6 min read

0
36

The families of two Brazilians who died in agony from spider bites after choosing not to seek immediate medical care are now warning others not to underestimate the lethal nature of the stings. 

Relatives of Luciano Marchioro, 48, said he was ‘too macho’ to go to the doctor to check out the wound.

Meanwhile the family of 39-year-old Ana Paula Topan accused a hospital of negligence, saying there wasn’t a serum available on time to treat the bite.

Although hundreds of miles apart, two Brazilian victims tragically died last month from bites from the same spider – the unassumingly named brown spider

Although hundreds of miles apart, both victims tragically died last month from bites from the same spider – the unassumingly named brown spider.

Mr Marchioro was bitten in Pato Branco, south Brazil, by a creepy-crawly hiding in his bed. 

But he was ‘too macho’ to go to the hospital, and didn’t take action until three days later when he still hadn’t urinated since the bite and had a badly swollen leg.

He was referred to hospital and admitted to intensive care immediately but died shortly after. 

Luciano Marchioro was bitten in Pato Branco, south Brazil, by a creepy-crawly hiding in his bed. Family members said he was 'too macho' to go to the hospital

Luciano Marchioro was bitten in Pato Branco, south Brazil, by a creepy-crawly hiding in his bed. Family members said he was ‘too macho’ to go to the hospital

Ms Topan was bitten in Campinas, south east Brazil, and didn’t seek medical attention until four days later as she didn’t have bad symptoms. 

She then died in hospital in extreme pain when medication she was given did not work. 

The victims’ grieving family members are now trying to make sure others don’t suffer the same avoidable experience.  

Family members warned that ‘anyone anywhere’ with the hint of a suspicious spider bite should ‘run straight to A&E and shouldn’t wait to risk the outcome.’

They added people should be particularly vigilant as the tiny venomous creatures can now be found lurking in locations around the world which are outside of their natural habitats.

The spider bite on Ana Paula's leg left her in agony and killed her a few days later

The spider bite on Ana Paula’s leg left her in agony and killed her a few days later

They urged everyone to always try to grab a picture of ‘what has stung them’ so the right antidote can be quickly identified.

On Wednesday the mourning relatives highlighted the risks of being bitten by the poisonous brown spider.

The innocuous but aggressive eight-legged creature with nocturnal habits can often be found living behind furniture, curtains and in clothes and has an almost imperceptible bite.

Mr Marchioro’s son Rodrigo, revealed his dad was bitten on November 3 but ‘he thought he didn’t need medical attention.’

The father of one was asleep when he was nipped in the leg by the arachnid hiding in his bedding.

Mr Marchioro’s family claimed his ‘stubborn refusal to go to the doctor and macho attitude’ directly contributed to his untimely death.

Rodrigo, 22, said: ‘He hated going to the doctors and refused to get it checked out.  

‘After three days of putting it off, his leg was badly swollen and he had not been able to urinate throughout this whole period.’

His heartbroken mother Inelde, 74, wept: ‘Luciano waited too long and it got too late. 

Luciano's heartbroken mother, Indelde, wept: 'He was trying to tough it out like a hard guy, to be all macho and resilient but it was the wrong way to act. I want to warn others to watch out for your family members and take care of them. Make them run to the emergency room. If they're men, don't let them give you 'macho excuses' because they believe it's the manly thing to do'

Luciano’s heartbroken mother, Indelde, wept: ‘He was trying to tough it out like a hard guy, to be all macho and resilient but it was the wrong way to act. I want to warn others to watch out for your family members and take care of them. Make them run to the emergency room. If they’re men, don’t let them give you ‘macho excuses’ because they believe it’s the manly thing to do’

‘He was trying to tough it out like a hard guy, to be all macho and resilient but it was the wrong way to act.

‘I want to warn others to watch out for your family members and take care of them. Make them run to the emergency room. 

‘If they’re men, don’t let them give you ‘macho excuses’ because they believe it’s the manly thing to do.’      

In the case of Mrs Topan, relatives accuse medical staff at Itapira Municipal Hospital of negligence. They claim she died because the serum to treat Mrs Topan’s bite didn’t arrive until after she had died.

The hospital dispute the claims and said that the medication is ready for use 24 hours a day. 

‘She didn’t seek care on the same day because she didn’t feel any symptoms at the time,’ Sandra said.

‘She said a bug jumped on her leg, but she couldn’t tell what it was, whether it was a spider or not.

Check this out  Rita Ora looks every inch the trendsetter in a white Loverboy top and matching flared trousers

‘But she began to feel unwell the day after next and her leg started to get sore.’

What is the poisonous brown spider? 

The innocuous but aggressive eight-legged creature with nocturnal habits can often be found living behind furniture, curtains and in clothes and has an almost imperceptible bite.

The brown spider that killed two Brazilians last month after it bit them

The brown spider is prevalent across several continents and if its venomous sting is left untreated the bite can cause debilitating swelling in the thighs, trunk and arms which can spread to vital organs.

 

Mrs Topan sought care four days later on November 6 and sent audio to her family complaining about the malady.

In her voice message the victim alleged: ‘The doctor told me it’s not poisonous. But I’m finding it hard to believe them.

‘Today, for God’s sake! I almost died from the pain which didn’t let up all day.

‘I’ve never felt so much pain, it’s all red, swollen, it’s horrible.’  

Her health soon rapidly deteriorated.

‘Ana returned to the hospital on the 8th, and died hours after being admitted,’ sobbed her sister.

Relatives claimed that the drug to treat the bite arrived only after their loved one had passed away.  

The hospital said that because the request for serum came several days after Mrs Topan had been bitted and she had not identified what insect bit her, it was withheld.  

An autopsy report confirmed the Mrs Topan’s wound was caused by a brown spider.

In both cases, experts said, neither of the victims realised the severity of the bites and the delay in seeking medical help probably led to their deaths.